What do you call a playboy cat?

Sunday, July 24, 2005

TV vs. Books

If you had a choice, would you choose TV over BOOKS or vice versa? Can't choose both since time is limited, especially when life revolves around a busy working career.

Personally, I'll go for books rather than plain old TV. With books, I can set the reading pace, perhaps even reread a funny passage and commit certain words to memory. With TV, they capture your attention and control the pace.

Just over the weekend, a friend showed me a book "The Science of Discworld II" and I remember a passage which has the words "THEOSTRY" printed. Discworld is still in telex era and it cost money to send every letter. The response a query was "to change the story" and shortened to 'THEOSTRY'. After a few minutes, I found the passage and showed it to my friend then said "Yep, read this book before".

Before books came to my life (actually before wife was pregnant), we had spent a lot of money and time watching movies (lovey dovey dating scenario, thank you GV and Eng Wah) and after the kid is born, I've been grounded at home. Books are the only resource available since watching TV is a bad habit to be doing in front of my kid. A definately no-no to be teaching a kid to be addicted to TV (or computers) at a young age.

That's why we read to our kid nightly. He's just as addicted to books as I am although 20 mins attention span cannot be called an addiction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home